Monday 2 April 2012

Wine Bargain No. 13. A "Cleanskin" Shiraz

Call me a wine snob but, when I see the word "Cleanskin" being used to sell a 'reserve' or 'limited edition' or 'premium' wine I am very sceptical about the wine.  I always wonder why a winery would sell off these level of wines as a cleanskin but, I suppose it could be for a number of reasons.  It still makes me do some research regardless.  I received an email today from Get Wines Direct (GWD) about a cleanskin wine, and I quote, "Single Vineyard Pyrenees Reserve Museum Release Shiraz 2006 Cleanskin".  They say it is normally $39.99 a bottle but they are selling it for $12.99 a bottle.  And so the research began.  From what I can work out it is from Taltarni (very reputable winery), James Halliday (the doyen of Australian wine writers) gave it 94 points (pretty darn good score) and describes it as, "...an unusually elegant, medium-bodied shiraz", and, yes, it's RRP is what GWD has quoted.  All in all, I reckon it is worth the risk and gives the die-hard, big and bold Shiraz drinkers another red wine option for autumn drinking.  'Til next time and remember to live simply, laugh often, wine alot.

No comments:

Post a Comment