Wednesday 11 April 2012

What's in a Name. Wine Marketing at it's Best

I was wandering around my wine storage area yesterday and saw stuff written on some of the labels that made me wonder about the names and descriptors used on some of them.  I have no doubt some companies use gimmicky names to catch a person's attention and some use more sophisticated, additional words to make the wine seem better than it may be.  Examples?  There are plenty of those.
Greedy Sheep, The Red Baron, The Derelict Vineyard, Cock & Bull, Bowlers Run, Red Truck, Inheritance, Queen Adelaide and Stamps of Australia, just to name eight.  All of these wines, bar one, is in the lower end of the quality scale and as such may need the 'interesting' name to attract a buyer.  Now the 'sophisticated' end of the scale.
Single Vineyard, Hand-picked, Basket Press, Show Reserve, Limited Release, Traditional, Winemaker's Selection, No.1 and Cellar Reserve.  Let's be honest.  The snobbish connotation to these words are used to indicate a better quality wine and, overall, they usually are.  However, when it all boils down to it, no matter what words are used, it is still just a sales pitch isn't it? "Buy this wine because it has a funny name" or "No, no, no, buy this wine because it is a Limited Release".  The bottom line is, they need to sell a product and they can, and will, use any ways or means to do so.  Regardless, you would be pretty unlucky to buy a dud bottle of Australian wine at the moment.  'Til next time and remember, live simply, laugh often, wine alot.

2 comments:

  1. I just love drinking wine and because of that I decided to have my own wine business. I like looking at the smile that my clients have whenever they buy wine from me, it just gives me satisfaction...

    Wine Bar Adelaide

    ReplyDelete
  2. I myself am an avid consumer and collector who, unfortunately, is not in the industry. I also get huge satisfaction from friends who enjoy the experience of drinking wine when I serve them something special from my collection, whether it be an aged Barossan Shiraz or a young, fresh Frankland River Reisling to a svelte Tasmanian Pinot Noir. The Marquis looks a magnificent establishment and, next time I am in Adelaide, I will definitely pay a visit. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete