Monday 31 October 2011

A Couple of Reasonable Bargains For A Couple of Excellent Reds

Okay, I have to admit these aren't great bargains (compared to some recently) but would be excellent additions to anybody's cellar at the price.  The Eaglehawk Inn has specials on a regular basis and it is always worth a look.  The "Couple of Excellent Reds" are the Penfolds Bin 407 for $35.00 (RRP $55+) and the Bowen Estate Cabernet & Shiraz for $20.00 ($33).  Assuming the Bin 407 is the 2008 vintage, it is a wine that is fine to drink when young but cellars very well.  I bought some of this through a different (on-line) outlet AND, it was on special AND, it was more expensive than this AND, I had to pay postage.  Hopefully both of the Bowen Estate Reds are from the 2009 vintage because I had the pleasure of tasting them at a Coonawarra Roadshow a couple of months ago.  The 2009 vintage was an absolute ripper in Coonawarra, plus, with Bowen Estate (BE) being a family owned winery and not a large corporation churning out homogenised (but sometimes good) wines, I expect great things from these two wines.  I opened a 2001 vintage of the BE shiraz about 3 months ago and it was very, very good...still.  Anyway, as I said earlier, I realise it is not a massive 75% off bargain like I picked up recently but, it works out to be about 33% off and you know they will be bloody good wines.  'Til next time and remember to live simply, laugh often, wine alot.

No comments:

Post a Comment