Sunday 13 April 2014

The Coterie at Coal Valley Vineyard

I have to admit it is very rare that forgetting to do something results in a successful outcome.  I'll explain shall I.  I was supposed to make a reservation for dinner for my wife and I at a rather swish Chinese Restaurant in Hobart.  Well, I made the call (the night before) and, of course, they were fully booked.  I happened to be reading a wine magazine the same day and read about The Coterie at the Coal Valley Vineyard about 20 minutes from Hobart.
I decided to give them a call and, no worries, booked in for 7pm the next night. Phew, saved...for now anyway. There were some concerns that we were able to land a reservation for dinner when ringing the night before but for us it was somewhere new, the write up was really good and we knew the wines from Coal Valley are good.
Upon arrival, we were welcomed by a familiar face, Sharelee Davies, CEO of Wine Tasmania.  My first impression of the place was it was going to be cold but, the modest heating did an adequate job allowing us to feel warm and comfortable.
The menu was not extensive, which I thought was a good thing, but had a good array of meals to choose from.  We both had fairly basic starters but the quality of both were certainly up there.
Now for the mains we shared.  Pork belly with quince and a side of green salad, candied walnuts and walnut dressing.  Absolutely, exquisite and, for a total of $40, great value.  We received 4 pieces of pork belly and plenty of quince paste to go with it.  We were also provided with some Riesling jam with coriander seed crust which also matched perfectly with the pork belly.  There was plenty for the two us.  The Coal Valley Vineyard Pinot Noir we had with it was the ideal wine too.
We left there comfortable in the knowledge we had eaten well for what we had spent, very well in fact.  Do yourself a favour and get out there.  You will not be disappointed, believe me.
They are open 10am-5pm Monday and Tuesday, and until 9pm Thursday to Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment