Saturday 5 April 2014

2001 Arras EJ Carr Late Disgorged

If you had asked me 4 years ago if I like sparkling wine my answer would have been a resounding, no!  I was introduced to it by friends whose 'go to' was, and still is, the most popular Tassie bubbles, Jansz.  Around the same time I was lucky enough to be able to steward at a wine show and this exposed me to other Australian brands and more Tasmanian producers.  One of those producers was Arras.  I have since discovered these are exceptional wines with base wines of the highest quality and held on lees for many years.  I have also had the luxury of tasting some of them many times but must speak about the 2001 Arras EJ Carr Late Disgorged which I managed to score as a leftover bottle from a tasting.  I also must say, EJ (Ed) Carr is a quietly spoken, humble but proud, unassuming magician when it comes to sparkling wine.
When I poured the wine the colour was a pale green and the bead was fine and delicate.  The aromas were unmistakable.  Toasty, biscuity almost nutty and still quite intense.  On the palate it was amazingly fresh, zesty, long and complex but so, so elegant.  At around $150 per bottle it puts it up there in terms of luxury sparkling wine but it matches it with the best imports at, sometimes, half the price.
 Until next time and remember, live simply, laugh often, wine alot.


No comments:

Post a Comment