Tuesday 4 March 2014

2007 McWilliams Lovedale Semillon

Semillon would have to be the most under-rated varieties in Australia (alongside Chardonnay).  There are so many excellent examples available at many different price points.  I've tried a few and believe me, they can be an excellent food wine and have tremendous ageing potential.
I have been fortunate enough to have a bottle of the 2007 McWilliams Lovedale Semillon in my cellar and, seeing as though every day is a day to open a special bottle, I decided to crack a bottle.  At $60 a bottle (able to be regularly found discounted to $40) it's not the most affordable example I know.
Even at 7 years of age this wine still displays some lovely youthful characters.  Lemon and slightly grassy aromas (which concerned me because I'm not a fan of Sav Blanc) but the palate was rich, toasty and the acid was so delicate.  I'm pleased I have another bottle tucked away because this will develop very nicely.  When to drink the last bottle? Maybe at my 60th birthday.
Do yourself a favour and find one and give it a try.  Not necessarily this one but have a look around for McGuigan Bin 9000 ($12), McWilliams Elizabeth ($15) and Tyrrell's Belford ($26).
Live simply, laugh often, wine alot.

No comments:

Post a Comment