Wednesday 6 November 2013

Authors, Journalists, Bloggers, Samples, Samples, Samples Galore

As most people know I read as much as I can about wine & wines alike.  This includes magazines, books, newspapers, bottleshop flyers and online notes.  One thing that stood out to me was the amount of 'samples' that get sent to so many 'experts' for their opinion.  And get this!  Not all who get sent a sample even bother to review the wine!  I would hate to work out how many bottles get sent out but, when you think about how many books, magazines, newspapers and tastings are held, it must surely add up.  To me that means a truck load of wine is being drunk for free.  Ultimately, who pays for this 'free' wine?  I reckon I only need one guess.  Don't get me wrong, I've been lucky enough to be offered, and sent, free wine but, here's the difference.  I felt guilty about it.  On one occasion I rang the winery to let them know I was not a journalist or an author and as such, probably could not assist with promoting their product.  Their answer.  "...but you are a consumer whose opinion is important to us."  In the end I sent Tassie wine to those that sent me their wine and I shared their wines with friends that would give an honest opinion of the wine.  Win Win I reckon.  So, in reality, who acutally is the right person to write about wine?  Whose opinion really matters?  I reckon I only need one guess.  It may sound like I'm jealous but I'm not.  I drink wine for what it is.  A consumable to be enjoyed with good food & friends  'Til next time but remember, live simply, laugh often, wine alot.

No comments:

Post a Comment