Wednesday 22 February 2012

The Chances We Take With Old Wine

If you have ever had the opportunity to taste and/or drink old red wine you know it can be hit or miss.  Well, I decided to try a 1987 Orlando Alexander's Coonawarra Cabernet.  Believe me this was a huge miss.  I have to admit, looking at the bottle I thought there was a small chance it could be okay-ish.  The cork came out fine.  Didn't crumble but there was definitely staining right to the top.  When I poured it in the glass it looked brick red which is expected for an old red.  I swirled it in the glass like the typical wine wanker to 'give it some air' of course.  I can tell you here and now it did not need air.  It needed resuscitating.  It was dead, kaput, lifeless and it smelt terrible. Regardless, I decided to taste it.  Guess who need resuscitating after the taste.  I really can't describe the taste except to say it was not good and if you happen to have some, try it now, and I mean get off your computer and try it now.  You may be lucky enough to have a couple of good bottles but be prepared to do what I did and pour it down the sink.  There is always a risk that older wines will be 'over the hill' but believe me, when you get the chance to taste old red wine, do it.  It could well be a hit.  'Til next time and remember to live simply, laugh often, wine alot.

No comments:

Post a Comment