Saturday 26 May 2012

A Beer Maybe? Mad Brewers Hoppy Hefe

I have been told on several occasions that there is more to life than wine.  This is true.  Every now and then I enjoy a beer or two before I take the screwcap off a bottle of fermented red grape juice.  These days I like to try different beers whether it be Australian or not.  On the way home yesterday, I called into my local bottle-shop because I know they have a very good selection of boutique and imported beers.  I selected a Mad Brewers Hoppy Hefe.  Mad Brewers is part of Malt Shovel Brewery which brings us the James Squire range and they bring out special release beers on a regular basis.  I am not a great wheat beer fan normally but, when I read the label, it seemed this wasn't going to be your normal bananary, pale-cloudy German Hefeweizen style so, home it came.  When I poured it, I was surprised at how dark it was, similar to a lighter coloured Newcastle Brown Ale.  I deliberately left it out of the fridge for a short time so it wasn't so cold when I tasted it (being too cold can mask the flavours of the beer).  It was citrusy but not overly so, yep the banana was there but fitted in nicely with all the other flavours without dominating and it was a touch sweet.  Actually, 'she who must be obeyed' liked it and it didn't receive the comment of "tastes like beer to me".  This is not a summer beer, there's more to it than that, especially at 7.0% alcohol, but it wouldn't fit the requirements of a stout in winter either.  Enjoy it for what it is.  A nice, rich, flavoursome gem of an Aussie boutique beer.  'Til next time and remember to live simply, laugh often, wine (or beer) alot.

No comments:

Post a Comment